Muslim Center of Detroit

1605 West Davison Ave
Detroit, MI 48238
Phone: 313-883-3330
Date Center Founded 1985
Ethnically diverse

 

view photos

Background: While the Muslim Center of Detroit traces its immediate history to the establishment in 1985 of the Muslim American Society by Imam Warath Deen Mohammed, the community’s history extends further back in time to the 1930s when the Nation of Islam was first established in Detroit by Imam Elijah Mohammed. The mosque is located on Davison Ave. in Detroit, and was converted into its current use from a former bank. The mosque is currently undergoing significant expansion and renovation and hopes to dedicate its new facilities by Eid al-Adtha in 2005.

Description: The Muslim Center ’s new facility includes a large prayer hall, a gym, a social hall (converted from the current mosque), classrooms, a kitchen, and more. Located in a blighted urban neighborhood, the Center has a highly active dawa, or mission, board that provides a wide array of services to local substance abusers, families, and youth, including counseling, job training, and a soup kitchen (see mission statement below). Working with New Detroit, Inc., they also provide a summer camp and athletic programs for local young people.

next page >>