Masjid Wali Muhammad is home to the first and oldest African American Muslim congregation. Although located in its current facility on Linwood Avenue since 1954, its first home was on Hastings Street, in Detroit’s “Black Bottom.” It was there that the Nation of Islam was founded by W.D. Fard and led by the Honorable Elijah Muhammad in the early 1930s. The congregation’s name changed from Muhammad's Temple No. 1 to Masjid Wali Muhammad in 1978, when the Honorable Warith Deen Muhammad led the former Nation of Islam into Sunni Islam. Masjid Wali Muhammad was rededicated as a mosque open for the five daily prayers, with a conventional prayer space (without chairs) oriented toward Mecca.
Masjid Wali Muhammad is located on the upper level of a two-story building which was originally a Jewish community center. The lower level holds a large kitchen, a computer room, and a spacious meeting/dining room. The masjid is active in the community, holding weekly fundraisers and sponsoring a local soup kitchen. The mosque is attended by a largely African American, native-born congregation and is affiliated with the national leadership of Imam Warith Deen Mohammad. Gary al-Kasib is the mosque’s current imam.