Masjid Wali Muhammad
History: Masjid Wali Muhammad is home to the first and the oldest African American Muslim congregation. They moved to their current location on Linwood in 1954. Their first home was on Hastings Street in Black Bottom and was established by W.D. Fard and led by the Honorable Elijah Mohammad in the early 1930s. Their name changed from Muhammad's Temple No. 1 to Masjid Wali Muhammad in 1978 when the Honorable Warith Deen Muhammad led the former NOI into the Sunni Islamic community.
Description: The mosque is located on the upper level of a two-storied building. The interior of the downstairs was set up with a large kitchen, a computer room, and a much larger meeting room/dining room. Masjid Wali Muhammad is active in their community, holding weekly fundraisers and sponsoring a soup kitchen for the neighborhood. The mosque caters to a largely African American congregation, and is affiliated with the national leadership of Imam W. Deen Mohammad. Imam Gary al Kasib is the mosque’s current Imam.